Former Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is returning to football after he agreed to become Fifa’s new chief of global football development.
The move ends speculation linking the Frenchman, 70, with a return to management as Bayern Munich boss.
Wenger left the Gunners in May 2018, after 22 years in charge, three Premier League titles and seven FA Cups.
“I very much look forward to taking on this extremely important challenge,” he said.
Wenger’s new role at the world governing body will help to develop men’s and women’s football, as well as technical aspects of the sport.
He will now be a member of the technical panel of the International Football Association Board, and chairman of Fifa’s technical study group.
A second man has admitted trying to rob Arsenal footballers Mesut Özil and Sead Kolasinac in a moped ambush.
Jordan Northover, 26, pleaded guilty at Harrow Crown Court to attempting to steal watches from the pair in Hampstead, north-west London.
His co-accused Ashley Smith, 30, of Archway in North London, admitted his role in the crime in October.
CCTV footage showed Bosnian defender Kolasinac chasing off the two masked attackers on 25 July.
In the video, that circulated on social media, 26-year-old Kolasinac is seen fighting off two men who are wielding knives.
He can be seen jumping out of a vehicle to confront the masked men who had pulled alongside the car on mopeds.
In the footage, both carjackers were seen to be armed and were filmed brandishing knives at full-back Kolasinac.
World Cup winner Özil can also be seen in his black Mercedes G class jeep before he reportedly took refuge in a Turkish restaurant.
Kolasinac and Germany midfielder Özil were left out of the Arsenal side ahead of the opening weekend of the Premier League campaign after the incident.
Judge Rosa Dean said Smith would be sentenced at Harrow Crown Court on Friday.
Northover will be sentenced at a later date.
Özil told the Athletic sports site that he was scared for his wife Amine as the attackers pursued his car.
“Sead’s reaction was really, really brave because he attacked one of the attackers,” he said.
“I tried to move the car, block them, escape, but each time they would be there. My wife was extremely scared.”
A care home clinician has been jailed for failing to cooperate with an inquest into the death of a mentally ill teenager, in a legal first.
Sophie Bennett, 19, hanged herself at Lancaster Lodge care facility in Richmond, south-west London, in 2016.
An inquest found “neglect” contributed to her death but Duncan Lawrence, her “clinical lead”, had failed to attend and disclose evidence to the hearing.
He was jailed for four months at Wimbledon Magistrates’ Court.
Ms Bennett’s death followed an overhaul of her treatment, including the cancellation of external therapies and the loss of key staff.
She had been at the residential home since April 2015 due to complex needs involving bipolar disorder, social anxiety and atypical autism.
The new regime, described as a “boot camp” by Ms Bennett, contributed to her death, the jury at West London Coroner’s Court found in February.
Lawrence, who had a non-medical doctorate, oversaw Ms Bennett’s treatment in her final months like “a dictatorship” but was no longer working at the care home at the time of her death, the inquest heard.
The 60-year-old from Sydenham, south east London, initially said he could not attend the three-week inquest because he was in the USA caring for his sick mother.
But he failed to appear on video-link amid claims he was actually in London at the time.
Lawrence claimed his no-show was down to “ongoing stress” and instead provided written statements, prompting the coroner to fine him £650.
He was subsequently charged with intentionally withholding evidence from an inquest, the first case of its kind in England and Wales.
In court, Lawrence apologised to the family but said the charge was “nothing to do” with him and was “a big misunderstanding”.
Speaking afterwards, Ben Bennett, Sophie’s father, said: “It is not about the sentence he’s getting, it’s that he has never accounted for himself or produced the evidence.
“His apology means nothing, he has had plenty of opportunities to do that. “
The sentencing comes as a separate legal action is brought against the Richmond Psychosocial International Foundation and manager Peggy Jhugroo, who was a senior figure at Lancaster Lodge when Ms Bennett died.
League One side AFC Wimbledon have appointed caretaker boss Glyn Hodges as their new permanent manager.
The ex-Wales midfielder, 56, has been in charge since Wally Downes was suspended by the club last month, after being charged by the Football Association over bets placed on games.
Downes left Wimbledon on Sunday, two days after being given a four-week FA suspension for admitting the charge.
Former Wimbledon player Hodges had been assistant to Downes at Kingsmeadow.
“To have been at Wimbledon as a young apprentice at 16 years of age, then to return and actually get the job, and now to have an opportunity to take the club back to Plough Lane, is what dreams are made of,” he said.
“I’m absolutely delighted and I can’t wait to get started. I’ve enjoyed the last month, it’s been fantastic. I will be giving it my all.”
Hodges won four of his six matches in temporary charge, with Wimbledon 21st in League One, one point from safety.
Until joining the club in December Hodges had worked under Mark Hughes at Wales, Blackburn Rovers, Manchester City, Fulham, Queens Park Rangers and Stoke City.
His only previous managerial stint came in an interim spell in charge of Barnsley, during the 2002-03 campaign.
“It feels fantastic, but I’ve got to pay tribute to Wally, as we go back a long way,” he added. “I’ve got to thank him for bringing me here to take this opportunity.”
Celebrity Extinction Rebellion supporters have admitted in an open letter being “hypocrites” over their high-carbon lifestyles.
Stars including Jude Law said their guilt is shared with everyone in “this fossil-fuel economy” and urged people to campaign for “systemic change”.
It comes as Extinction Rebellion launches a legal challenge against a London-wide ban on its protests.
Some have defied the ban, including a group of mothers and babies.
Jude Law and Benedict Cumberbatch are among more than 100 celebrity supporters of Extinction Rebellion who signed an open letter to the media.
Along with Steve Coogan, Bob Geldof, Sir Mark Rylance, and Ray Winstone, they confessed their culpability in the climate crisis.
The letter says: “Dear journalists who have called us hypocrites. You’re right.
“We live high carbon lives and the industries that we are part of have huge carbon footprints.
“Like you, and everyone else, we are stuck in this fossil-fuel economy and without systemic change, our lifestyles will keep on causing climate and ecological harm.”
But they called on the media to focus on the “more urgent story” of life on earth dying in a sixth mass extinction.
They said they cannot ignore the call of young people such as Greta Thunberg to “fight for their already devastated future”, even if it means putting themselves “in your firing line”.
Writers Ian McEwan and Michael Morpurgo also signed the letter.
Meanwhile, lawyers for Extinction Rebellion activists have launched a High Court action over the police decision to prevent them demonstrating anywhere in London.
The claimants include the Green Party’s Caroline Lucas and Baroness Jenny Jones, Labour MPs Clive Lewis and David Drew and writer George Monbiot.
The Metropolitan Police said they made more than 1,600 arrests in the ongoing protests, and on Monday they announced new restrictions under Section 14 of the Public Order Act.
The order required protestors to disperse by 21:00 BST or risk arrest.
Any assembly of more than two people linked to the Extinction Rebellion action is now illegal in London.
The force said it decided to impose the rules after “continued breaches” of conditions which limited the demonstrations to Trafalgar Square.
Deputy Assistant Commissioner Laurence Taylor, who is leading the policing of the demonstrations, said he was confident the Met’s decision was “entirely lawful” and “entirely proportionate”.
Extinction Rebellion argue the ban is disproportionate and an unprecedented curtailment of the right to free speech and free assembly.
The group hopes the High Court will quash the decision to implement the blanket ban.
In London’s King’s Cross on Wednesday, a group of mothers and babies defied the restriction, staging a “feed-in” outside Google’s offices, while other activists targeted the nearby offices of YouTube – a Google subsidiary.
They said they wanted to highlight the company’s political donations to organisations that have campaigned against action on climate change.
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said concerns had been raised about the police’s decision to ban the protests, adding that shadow home secretary Diane Abbott was discussing it with the police.
“I think it’s important to protect the right of free speech, and the right to demonstrate in our society – obviously in a non-violent way,” he said.
He added that Labour’s London Mayor Sadiq Khan had no involvement in the “operational decision” by police to remove the protesters.
On Tuesday, Mr Khan said he was “seeking further information” about why the ban was necessary, saying he believed “the right to peaceful and lawful protest must always be upheld”.
A government spokesman said the UK was already taking “world-leading action to combat climate change as the first major economy to legislate to end our contribution to global warming entirely by 2050”.
“While we share people’s concerns about global warming, and respect the right to peaceful protest, it should not disrupt people’s day-to-day lives,” he added.
What are the rules around protests?
Police have the powers to ban a protest under the Public Order Act 1986, if a senior officer has reasonable belief that it may cause “serious disruption to the life of the community”.
Police are also under a duty to balance the task of keeping the streets open with the right freedom of assembly under Article 11 of the Human Rights Act 1998 and freedom of expression, under Article 10. These rights are not absolute – the state can curtail them.
However, the BBC’s home affairs correspondent Dominic Casciani said: “The test, if and when it gets to a human rights court battle, is whether police action was proportionate to the threat and only what was strictly necessary.”
By law, the organiser of a public march must tell the police certain information in writing six days in advance.
Police have the power to limit or change the route of the march or set other conditions.
A Section 14 notice issued under the Public Order Act allows police to impose conditions on a static protest and individuals who fail to comply with these can be arrested.
A drug dealer has been jailed for stabbing a police officer who tried to apprehend him in a park in Portsmouth.
PC Russell Turner, 56, suffered a collapsed lung after being stabbed twice by Michael Enzanga in February.
Enzanga, 20 was found guilty of causing grievous bodily harm with intent, possession of a knife and drugs offences following a trial in August.
He was jailed for 16 years and ordered serve at least two thirds before consideration for parole.
Prosecutor Dale Sullivan said the case was made more serious because the stabbing took place near to a nursery, and because it was against a police officer.
In an emotional statement, PC Turner told the court on Wednesday he felt anger towards Enzanga for leaving him lying in his “own blood”.
“Most of all I can never forgive him for the upset, pain and emotional trauma he caused my family,” said PC Turner.
‘Thinking all sorts’
“On the day I was stabbed my wife was at home and my sergeant knocked on the door and told her what happened.
“During that half hour car journey her mind was thinking all sorts, wondering if I was going to live.”
A father-of-two, PC Turner was not able to return to work for 10 weeks and has now left Hampshire Constabulary.
During the trial jurors heard how PC Turner was stabbed during a “full-on fight” with Enzanga while investigating reports of drug dealing in Stamshaw Park.
The plain clothes officer got out his warrant card out and identified his colleague PC Clare Parry and himself as police officers when Enzanga tried to run away and the struggle broke out.
‘Hiding under tarpaulin’
PC Parry broke down in tears as she described Enzanga as like a “caged animal fighting for his life”.
After the stabbing, Enzanga fled in the direction of a block of flats but was seen by members of the public and on CCTV carrying a knife before being Tasered by officers.
He was eventually found hiding under a tarpaulin in a back garden with the barbs from the Taser still lodged in his back.
Passing sentence, Judge Roger Hetherington told Enzanga: “You were no innocent dupe. You were already an experienced criminal who knew exactly what you were about.”
Speaking after the sentencing, Det Insp Matthew Barcraft-Barnes said: “Enzanga’s brutal actions that day could have easily caused the death of our officer.
“As young children watched on, he didn’t think twice about using his knife, all he cared about was his escape, no matter what the consequences were for anyone else.
“It is never easy to have to deal with a case when one of our colleagues is seriously injured for simply doing their job, but the team showed great professionalism and dedication to ensure this dangerous man was taken off of our streets.”
Enzanga, of Ashfield Road, Tottenham, was also convicted of four charges of possessing crack cocaine and diamorphine (heroin) with intent to supply, and a charge of possessing criminal property in the form of £1,000 in cash.
The sight of Jason Donovan in his underpants tackling a fire was certainly a surprise for one crew of firefighters.
Officers called to Notting Hill, London came across the Australian actor and singer tackling the fire with an extinguisher.
Donovan, 51, who lives across the road spotted the flames from his home.
The London Fire Service quipped, “everyone needs good neighbours”.
On social media the artist posted his views on his firefighting attire:
Watch manager Thomas Wolfe explained: “When we arrived a gentleman was tackling the fire using a fire extinguisher. We took over from him and quickly dealt with the blaze.
“It soon transpired that it was Jason Donovan who noticed the fire from his property over the road.”
Asked if the good “neighbour” would get a commendation, the watch commander quipped: “He looks good for his age.”
The fire, on 22 September, was located in the side passage next to a house and was believed to have been caused by a fault in electrical cabling.
AFC Wimbledon manager Wally Downes has been suspended by the League One club after he was charged by the Football Association over bets placed on games.
The 58-year-old has been in charge of the Dons since December 2018.
“Wally has been charged by the FA for misconduct in respect of eight bets placed on matches between 30 November 2013 and 12 July 2019,” said the club.
“Given the seriousness of this breach in regulations, the club has decided to suspend Wally with immediate effect.”
The Dons’ statement continued: “[This will give] time for the club and Dons Trust boards to look at the allegations more closely and make a further announcement in due course.”
Downes’ side are 22nd in the third tier, without a win from their 10 league matches so far this season.
The club added that assistant manager Glyn Hodges and the rest of Downes’ coaching staff will take charge of Saturday’s away game against Peterborough United.
Former Dons midfielder and ex-Brentford manager Downes guided Wimbledon to a 20th-place finish last term.
An FA spokesperson added that Downes has until 4 October to respond to the charge.
A 17-year-old girl was killed in a “very fast” and “completely unexpected” attack, a court has heard.
Jodie Chesney was sitting with friends in a park in Harold Hill, east London, when she was stabbed on 1 March.
One of the group, Kasey Henderson, told the Old Bailey “panic and hysteria” broke out when they realised the girl scout had been attacked.
Manuel Petrovic, 20, Svenson Ong-a-Kwie, 19, both from Romford, and two boys, aged 16 and 17, deny murder.
The jury heard Mr Henderson had gone to Amy’s Park after he met his twin brother Bryce, Jodie and her boyfriend Eddie Coyle at Romford station.
“We were planning on picking up cannabis from someone and smoking it at the park,” he said.
The 18-year-old said his brother had “called one of our dealers” who “were going to deliver it to the park”.
The court was told Mr Henderson later saw two males enter the park and thought they had stolen his bag when he heard a “ripping” sound and saw them running away.
The jury heard he was then “confused” to find his bag still there, but then “a lot of the panic and hysteria started”.
“Jodie screamed because of the pain and we were all confused by what was going on before we figured it out,” he said.
A 17-year-old girl, who cannot be identified, told the Old Bailey Jodie had turned slightly, and then started to scream.
She said she shone a torch on Jodie’s back and “saw a hole”.
“You could clearly see she had been stabbed because the jacket she had been wearing had fluff on the inside. The jacket had been ripped. The fluff had originally been white and you could see blood,” she said.
The witness then “called the ambulance” but by that point Jodie had stopped screaming “and her eyes started to roll back in her head”, she said.
The trial continues.
A 16-year-old boy has been charged with the murder of a man who was stabbed to death on a north-west London street.
Meshach Williams, 21, died in hospital hours after he was attacked in High Street, Harlesden, on 23 April.
The boy was remanded in custody after appearing at Willesden Magistrates’ Court earlier. He is next due to appear at the Old Bailey on Tuesday.
Three men, aged 19, 18 and 24, have previously been charged in connection with Mr Williams’s death.
They are due to stand trial in November.